Manchester launches further consultation on Northern Gateway plans

Manchester City Council has launched a further round of consultation on proposals for the first phase of its Northern Gateway regeneration project.

Residents, businesses and community groups have been invited to give feedback on updated proposals before the first phase of the project starts, following initial consultation by the council on the project earlier this year.

The Northern Gateway project, a joint venture partnership between the council and FEC (Far East Consortium), aims to deliver around 15,000 new homes in Manchester over the next 15 to 20 years, including at least 3,000 affordable homes.

The regeneration project accounts for 28% of the city’s entire housing target during that time as part of the Greater Manchester Spatial Framework.

The project’s first phase aims to provide around 270 new homes across Collyhurst Village and South Collyhurst including 130 homes for social rent. It also features new commercial premises and the first phase of an expanded Collyhurst Village Park.

Cllr Suzanne Richards, Manchester City Council’s executive member for housing and regeneration, said: “Throughout the early stages of the Northern Gateway project input from local people has been invaluable. The views of Collyhurst residents have been listened to and taken onboard as part of the proposals that we are now about to start consulting on.

“Following this phase of the consultation we will bring back final proposals to the community one last time before planning applications are submitted for Collyhurst. We are asking once again for residents to take some time to look at the proposals now and give us their final thoughts.”

So far, consultation on the proposals has revealed residents’ preference for a mix of new homes, including accessible housing and family-friendly designs.

The current phase of engagement will offer residents more detailed information about the different types of homes that will be made available, along with a chance to share what they’d like to see in the new park included in the plans.

Up to 28 existing homes could be demolished as part of the existing proposals, while residents affected will be supported to move into the new homes.

The council has promised not to demolish any existing homes until the replacement homes have been built to prevent existing residents from leaving the area.

Victoria Hunter of FEC said “We’re excited to share with the local community our proposals for the new homes in Collyhurst. The design of the homes has been developed in consultation with residents through listening to what’s important to local people.

“Wellbeing of the community is at the heart of the proposals, through the creation of a New Collyhurst Park and energy efficient homes suitable for people at all stages of life. The homes have been designed with first time buyers and families in mind and with 100 of the new homes being specifically for existing Council tenants, the proposals provide a mix of homes for an inclusive community.

“Good placemaking is about collaboration and we want the local community to let us know their views on proposals.”

The consultation will close on Friday 16 October and will help inform the final proposals that will form the planning application for the first phase of development.

The final proposals will be presented to the local community later this year before the planning application is submitted to the council.

The consultation website, which includes a virtual exhibition, can be found here: https://www.collyhurst-regeneration.co.uk/

Image: An artist’s impression of the proposed new Collyhurst Village Park. Credit: Manchester City Council

%d bloggers like this: